Sunday 24 December 2023

The deposition of Matei Vulcanescu

Archbishop: His Eminence, Metropolitan Silouan Oner London
 23.12.2023 

In the false apology written by Matei Vulcănescu to me and the clergy of this archdiocese on 21st December 2023, he cites Canon 15 of the 1st and 2nd Council of Constantinople as a reason for refusing to commemorate me at the Divine Liturgy.  In doing this, he is publicly declaring me to be a heretic and a pseudo-bishop. This is a grave and unjustified insult to me and to the other bishops of the Holy Synod of Antioch, which cannot be ignored.  Apostolic Canon 55 states: "If any of the clergy insult the bishop, let him be deposed: for 'you shall not speak evil of the ruler of your people.'" Therefore it is with great sorrow that I give notice today that Matei Vulcănescu has been deposed  as  a  priest  and  returned  to  the  lay  state. No  priest  of  this  archdiocese  may participate in any service in which Mr Vulcănescu participates as if he were a priest.  To  the  Faithful  of  the  former  parish  of  St  Edward  the  Martyr  and  St  Paraskevi  of  Rome, Liverpool: I implore you for your own salvation to seek an Orthodox parish nearby where you may  participate  fully  in  the  life  of  the  Church.    There  are  Greek,  Russian  and  Romanian parishes either in or near to Liverpool, or you may wish to contact any priest of my archdiocese for assistance.  

Be assured of my continued love and prayers.  

Your prayers.

 +Silouan


+++